RE: Weber tuning

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Weber tuning
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:57:50 -0400
Enrique:

You did not mention which Weber you have, but the downdraft is somewhat
easier
to tune than the sidedraft (single). The Colortune will only allow you to
tune the
"idle" circuit on either carb. In no way can you tune the
progressive/main/accelerator
circuits on the DCOE carb with the Colortune kit (unless you can find a way
to sit
in the engine compartment which your friend drives the car up to 60mph
!!!!!)

If the mechanic is only charging you $50/hour to completely tune the carb
than take
him up on it. BUT this means he has access to the multitude of jets and has
a dyno available -
otherwise it's a waste of time - you can not tune a Weber unless you have
some method to
put the engine under load (like acceleration)

One alternative which I have been using on my carb and fuel injected cars is
to use the
the signals from the oxygen sensor hooked up to an "air/fuel" ratio meter
(about $45 from
Summit/Pegasus/AutoMeter). It does mean that you have to install an oxy
sensor on the
exhaust manifold of the MGB - but I have found that the fuel/air meters do
provide
a usefull readout when trying to tune an engine. I diagnosed a faulty water
temp sensor
using this meter on my Audi - the sensor kept telling the ECU that the
engine was always
cold and hence the ECU was adjusting for a rich mixture.

This meter has also helped me tune the SU carbs on my MGB, making sure I
have a good
mixture (slightly lean)  at cruising speed and a richer mixture on
acceleration. After I tuned
the SU's, I achieved approx 30-33 mpg on the freeway

gerry

Hi list, I have to tune my weber carburator. One option I have is take it