Re: Flywheel Bolts and Locknuts

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flywheel Bolts and Locknuts
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:42:22 -0700
Cosmo:

RE: Lockwire pliers

<<<snip>>>
OK, I'll bit. Do you know if a special tool is used to twist the wire.
<<<snip>>>

Yes, there is a tool for this and I've got one.  It's similar to a pair of
needle nose
pliers, but is lockable like a pair of forceps.  In addition there is a spiral
shaft similar to that used on the old Stanley manual "Yankee Drill" that you
pull on which causes the pliers to spin.  I've seen them in Eastwood's catalog
(That's not where I got mine), and they may possibly be available elsewhere for
less.

<<<snip>>>
how long to make the wire before twisting, how
to twist the wire & in which way for which direction of travel around
the bolts.
<<<snip>>>

You need a piece at least four times the distance that is between the
fasteners.  The wire is inserted through one locking hole and divided evenly.
The wire is twisted together starting on the side opposite the other bolt (far
side) and the twisted length is made long enough to wrap around this starting
bolt and up to the mating one.  The twists should go almost up to the second
bolt.  One end is inserted through the second bolt's hole again making sure that
as one bolt would loosen it tightens the other.  After inserting one wire, the
ends are twisted about 6-7 times and the excess trimmed.  AS a finishing touch,
and for safety,  this raw end is then folded over to keep it from cutting hands,
catching fabric.  If you make a mistake and wind up to much between the
fasteners, don't untwist it to fit.  Cut it out and start over to avoid the wire
failing due to metal fatigue.

When you are finished the twisted wire takes a REVERSE S shape around the
fasteners and is twisted together between the fasteners.

Blake