RE: Charley Caught Smoking Again

To: lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net
Subject: RE: Charley Caught Smoking Again
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:34:40 -0700
Lew:

Got this back from my mechanic brother.  I forgot to mention the point about
rings being right side up or down.

<<<snip>>>
Blake,

After looking at the picture of Lew's engine, I can tell you for
certain that the rings are at fault.  The areas of the pistons that
are washed clean is the areas that the oil is pumping past the rings.
One other item to check is:  Are the rings on right side up?  Most
rings are made to only go on one way.  There are generally some kind
of mark (dot, letter, symbol) on the ring to indicate which side is
up.  Alot of the rings have a bevel on the face (the part that touches
the bore). I think I have some pictures/ illistartions somewhere. Also
there sould be some kind of instruction which indicates how the rings
should be installed.  If there is none then they sould be installled
so they act to scrape the oil down the bore.  Hope this helps.