Re: Oil Pump MGA

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump MGA
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:36:37 +1000
> IMHO, with considerable personal experience in this area, I would say that
> 0.006 inch internally between the rotor parts is a good practical limit.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up replacing the pump. The new one
measures .002" between the rotors and .003" end float, so I guess I'm
looking sweet there.

The motor is coming together well, I have to install a few brackets for the
dynamo, engine mounts etc, install the drive dog for the dizzy, set the
timing. Install one last gallery plug, prime and paint the motor, install
flywheel, clutch etc, and then hopefully reinstall back in the car this
weekend. After that I have new floors to drill out, seal and install, not to
mention carpet. Very ambitious considering I am leaving Sydney in less than
2 weeks and am snowed under with other tasks!! <G> Carpet may have to wait I
guess.

All my cars are being transported north of the border to Queensland to stay
with my parents. Oh what fun - not! Only had the CGT two weeks, which btw is
now running, with brakes and clutch etc. The CGT has a VERY different feel
to a BGT IMO. More compliant ride - cruisy - very nice grand tourer. I can
see even after a short drive what people mean when they say it doesn't have
a sportscar feel like a B or an A. The steering is pretty slow and a lot
less feedback than a B. I also think the motor has a lot to do with the
feel. Very, very unfussed progress, can't wait to run her on the freeway.
It'll be nice having an MG to drive thats unfussed, unhurried seeing as the
A will (hopefully <G>) be a bit frenetic, the B for racing etc. As far as
the A goes, after a lot of research I've installed Flat Top pistons, a cam
giving me gross lift of .444" with rr's, custom dizzy, ported head, 1.6
ratio roller rockers, lightweight lifters etc. GCR is a tad less than 10:1.
Will be running her on Shell Optimax fuel - 98 octane, the highest we can
get in Aus. Will see how she goes at that GCR and maybe raise it a little
later if she doesn't ping her head off. Will be interesting.

Thanks very much to Barney who's been 'holding my hand' all the way through
this! :)

Cheers,
Neil