Vacuum Advances and M&G

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum Advances and M&G
From: "A D" <mooshupork7@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:29:32 GMT
Does anybody know if there are any differences between new vacuum advance
units and the originals, as it relates to timing characteristics?  I'm
setting out to refurbish a DM2.P4 distributer for my MGA and have 2 or 3, 40
year old OEM vacuum advances, but I don't know if they are still good or
what their life expectancy is.

M&G advertises that they refurbish original vacuum advances, albeit for $50+
(more than the price of a new replacement).  But what are the timing
differences between new and old?

I have never heard of anybody performing the service of refurbishing vacuum
advances besides M&G.  Makes me wonder...

I asked a local MGer last week about M&G, I was told, simply, that after
shaking hands with them, you leave with 4 fingers.  I guess becasuse they
are located close enough to New York City, a big captive market, they can
afford to conduct business in any way they choose to.

Art D.