Re: Internal engine cleaning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Internal engine cleaning
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:48:43 EDT
I read somewhere that improved octane has overcome the need for decoking.
Supposedly the carbon can only grow to a certain thickness and then sloughs
off. If your old engine has preignition problems due to carbon, just switch
to higher octane fuel. I guess the Brits didn't have this option back in the
days of pool-petro. Was decoking ever common maintenance on American cars?

cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Paul said:
>
>  >Redex upper cylinder lubricant used to be used many years ago, but that
was
>  >when engines needed periodic decokes.
>
>  But don't our engines need periodic decarbonising?
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Charles

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336