Valve clatter-help!

To: Mg <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve clatter-help!
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:33:13 -0700
Listees,

On the newly rebuilt '68 vintage engine I recently installed in my '65 I
replaced the early solid lifters with the later type bucket lifters and
new Crane push rods along with installing a reground stock cam.

I set the lash to .013 as specified for the later engines, and I get a
light, resonant valve clatter at 3500-3600 rpm, just a brief but
noticable noise as I pass though this range, and it will stay if I hold
this rpm.  It is not the rocker arms hitting the valve stem, it is
internal.  I opened up the lash to .015 (early spec) and it gets louder
over a broader range.

Are these bucket lifters flying up off the top of the cam lobe and
hitting the back side?  Should I tighten the lash to .012 or .010?  I
have dual springs on a completely rebuilt stock head (silicone bronze
guides, stellite exhaust valves, hardened seats), so a spring problem
seems unlikely.  Engine runs great.

This is a new one on me, any ideas?
--
Stuart MacMillan