Timing Marks

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing Marks
From: "Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:22:49 +0930
There have been a few problems recently where the problem could have been
timing. I'd just like to share a timing story of mine and how you can
innocently get things wrong.

Eight years ago, when my previous MGB finally hit the road, I carefully
tuned the thing to within and inch of it's life. I was in love. It rewarded
me with lousy fuel economy. So I tuned it again. Lousy economy. "It's your
timing," everyone said, so I timed it again. Lousy economy. Eventually, I
decided to toss the timing light in the corner along with the manual, and
timed the B on the road - the old "slow it down as far as you can in top
gear then plant your foot, keep advancing the timing till it pings then back
off slightly" routine. It ran perfectly and my fuel economy bounced to quite
acceptable levels. My timing had been out. Why was it out? Because the *&^%$
workshop manual showed the timing marks very clearly but had labelled the
things back to front!!!!!! So, don't believe everything you read in workshop
manuals (not that any of us do).

And the point of this story - if you are experiencing problems that could be
timing but you've already checked the timing, just make sure your workshop
manual isn't telling porkies.

Cheers
Richard
whose '76B is still sitting in the shed with one dud cylinder but it appears
that funds may be on the way - fingers crossed.
         Anne and Richard Spurling
 http://www.geocities.com/twisted-lines