Re: Checking valves (was What's going on with my distributor?)

To: "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Checking valves (was What's going on with my distributor?)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:40:54 -0700
Umm, I don't see the practical difference, but maybe I don't understand
what people are calling the "rule of 9". But I wouldn't be too sure that
the intake and exhaust lobes are totally symmetrical, so that you only
need *exactly* 4 positions... I would look at each one independently,
regardless. Remember, even when the valve is completely closed, the cam
lobe may not be at its point of greatest clearance yet, depending on the
existing gap, and the intake and exhaust are at different points in the
cycle (one just closed and the other is just about to open). Certainly
the pairs of valves are very close to being closed perfectly
simultaneously, but you really need to find the "midpoint" of closure for
each, if that makes sense, not just any point.

Larry Colen had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149