MGA Front License Bracket Identification Requested

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Front License Bracket Identification Requested
From: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:03:16 -0400
Hello List,

Well, getting my front license mounted is taking longer than expected.
First I ordered Moss' UK Plate (451-720), R/H Bracket (470-990), and
mis-ordered the L/H Bracket and ended up with a door bumper tapping plate
(470-490 instead of 470-980.) Oh well, I can't place an order for only
$3.45, so it was a good excuse to add some other items.

So today I get my order with the L/H Bracket (470-980) and guess what? It
looks exactly like R/H Bracket (470-990.) I need to call and get the
correct part sent, but I don't know which part I actually have.

I hold the part at waist level with the long leg vertical and pointing
down, and the short leg pointing away from me. When holding it like this,
and when I look down at the part, the right edge of the short leg is
longer than the left edge. Exaggerated, it looks like this:
  / I
/   I
I o I
---

I think this is the Left Hand (USA Driver's Side) Bracket. If I look at
the diagram in Moss' catalog MGA-21 pg 30, it looks like the short leg
points forward. When I put the bracket with a screw through the holes,
under the bumper, the radiused end of the bracket curls up and barely
around the front edge of the bumper. This sort of aligns the long leg of
the bracket perpendicular to the axis of the car, which would be correct
for mounting the plate. Am I looking at this correctly?

Too late to call Moss, so I'm hoping someone can straighten me out.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio
1958 MGA 1500    Red/Black