Re: Wire wheels

To: "Parker, Richard" <RPARKER@csuchico.edu>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
From: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@cyberlink.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:59:32 -0500
Richard,
     Here is a rough draft of my shopping reciept about a month ago for my
1500 MGA.  Sit before you read.

-Hubs           $ 107. x 4

-Wheels         $136. x 4 ( Dayton, painted, 60 spoke)

- Tubes            $ 10. x 4

- Tires,             $ 40. x 4 (Dunlop 165 Sp 20)

- High tech.spin  $ 12.50 x 4
bal. and mount(yea right?)
Tested for trueness.

- Labor,R&Rnew        $ 25. x 2
rear hubs(special press)

- My Labor &                 Priceless
Leg work time

-While I was at              Forgot the price(sorry)
it.  New Bearings &
Seals F&R

Well I quess I can stand back and smile at the way things look now.  But man
that is a lot of
cash for   "A Look".  Compared to disc wheels, (sand blast, prime, paint,
new tires) and your down the road(in most cases) at a SMALL fraction of the
wire wheel cost.

This was a big invested for me of which I'm never planning to make again for
this car. (at least until I hit my first curb.

One last suggestion that I did not do is to put the valve guards around the
valve stems before installing the tires( if you can find them) to protect
the valves from chaffing on the wheels.

Hope this Helps,     Mark