What did I do?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What did I do?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 23:13:26 -0700
My high/low beam switch was broken, so I ordered a new one and put one in.

Now my radio USUALLY works, but sometimes when I start the engine the radio
gets no power ever until I restart the engine, and occasionally it has no
power for the first 30 seconds or so and then stays on.  Once it's on,
there's no further problems (that is, it doesn't turn off, etc.).

The only thing that I did that was even vaguely related was that the DPO
had the previous radio getting power from what looked like a speaker
wire.  In fact, it was a speaker wire with power.  When I installed the new
radio I took power from elsewhere and left the "speaker wire" alone.  By
speaker wire, I mean that clear goldish casing that you can see the copper
within - almost always used for speakers.

When I replaced the turn signal switch, I saw a speaker wire tapped into
the horn power (this dates back to a previous post about how beeping the
horn reset the radio, but we won't go there tonight).  I recognized this
wire and snipped it and sealed it off.  That was the only thing I did that
I recognize as relating to how my stereo occasionally has no power when I
start the car.

Any ideas?  Why sometimes power, other times no power, and other times no
power for the first 30 seconds?

Thanks

- Tab