Re: Cam tuning

To: spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam tuning
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:27:33 EDT
Good cam for the B. With the DGV, at least jetted properly, it shouldn't be
too bad.. I was picturing a DCOE45 hanging off the side....

BTW this cam runs FINE on HS4 SUs with a needle size or two increase,
depending on how much you've cut the head... so jetted properly the DGV
should be only slightly richer than for a stock B, if at all.

But there is the key. Jetted Properly. AND the cam must be properly indexed,
and that most likely won't be achieved by blithly lining up the timing marks.
Assuming the jetting isn't too weird on the weber, I'd be tearing off the
head and timing cover, getting out the degree wheel, and doing it right. Find
out what the recommended cam advance is and stick to it. Peter Burgess' MGB
power tuning book covers this in detail. And while you're there, nothing less
than a first class 3 angle valve job, some chamber clean-up, port matching,
compression increase, and mild port work is needed if you hope to see any
kind of real performance boost. (again, see the book, Peter knows his stuff)

I was involved in building a motor with a very similar cam a couple of years
ago, and when indexed and some mild head work done, it pulled like a train
from 1500 rpm. On HS4s with #6 needles, one up from stock.

So as Kelvin put so well, ya gotta do it right if you're going to do it..
otherwise frustration is the only reward.

Good luck and happy motoring