Re: Is mine a GA or GB lump?

To: "MG List" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is mine a GA or GB lump?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:41:34 -0700
Colin Brown had this to say:

>My  Mk2 B Roadster, was first registered in the UK in April '67  the
>documentation shows, with engine No 18 GARUH 7276  ( 3bearing,O/D &
>High compression head).
>That information surprised me, I would have expected a GB engine to be
>fitted  in'67.

Surprises me, too. That engine number should have been fitted between
Feb. and Oct. 1964. However, the question is moot since the entire
bodyshell, engine and transmission seem to have been replaced since then.
Makes me wonder what is the point of calling it a 1967 any longer? <g>

You are correct about the side-fill transmission being later, it was
first used in 1974, according to Clausager. Since this gearbox is not a
direct fit to a 3-main engine, one could be almost positive that you have
a five-main engine (but not necessarily a GB). One would rather suspect
the engine is the 18V "small valve" version that matches the
transmission. But I am not sure exactly what features one would look at
to make that determination, externally.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149