[Fwd: Is mine a GA or GB lump?]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Is mine a GA or GB lump?]
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 19:09:01 -0600
--------------F72A91883E84E72460062E8E

Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 19:07:51 -0600
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
To: Colin Brown <ccbrown@cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: Is mine a GA or GB lump?

Part of the block casting should say 18 and have a date on it - I just
went and looked at my spare block to check.  I'm not sure when they quit
making the 3 main block, but cars from '65 on should have a 5 main.
Bottom line, though is that you have to be running a GB or later because a
4 synchro trans is going to require that the crank takes a larger input
shaft - unless they drilled that out, and I highly doubt anyone would do
that.  In '67 you should have a no emmissions head, 5 synchro engine with
the inertia (not solenoid) starter, generator (not alternator) a 3 synchro
trans, and banjo rear axle (unless you are very late '67 and/or GT which
have the salisbury axle)

Phil Bates
'67 MGB with OD (3 synchro, 5 main engine)