Re: replacing the weatherstrips

To: "xirias" <xirias@hol.gr>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: replacing the weatherstrips
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:25:57 -0400
There are exactly that... small u- shaped clips with inward
facing teeth that hold the seal in.   Ignore the rivets you see...
(unless they are really really loose or something.)

The normal procedure seems to be as follows.

You need to fashion yourself (from a n old dinner knife or hacksaw blade)
a hook that is the shape of the outside dimensions of the little
U-shaped clips that hold it all together.  Add a bent loop or handle type
of your desire to the other end.

The technique needed is simply to place the clip in the hook,  slip it down
in the channel between the window and seal (you may need to slide it
in at one end and run it up the length of the door to each clips position)
and with the other hand push the seal (hold the seal) in place while
pulling up on the clip with the tool.

You'll probably drop a couple clips down in the door before you get the hang on
it
and just the proper bend and shape of you hook tool so go a head and
take off your inside door panel now and avoid the frustration. Plus with a good
flashlight you'll be able to look up and see where and what the clips are
holding. You won't be able to get to them obviously because the glass is in the
way.

When you make the hook.. make sure the bottom inside of the J doesn't compress
the clip trying to expand to spread on to the thickness of what it has to hold
onto.

Someone out the has a web page up with a photo / 3Ddrawing of a tool design
that you can easily make.  It doesn't have to be strong.. just hold it's little
cup
bend you put in it to hold the clip.
Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com