Hand Protectiom

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hand Protectiom
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:17:42 EDT
In a message to the mgslist, Max Heim writes:

>From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
>Subject: Re: [66 tourer project]
>
>Dan DiBiase had this to say:
>
>>2 A dumb question. I wear contacts and as such am
>>somewhat sensitive to getting tons of crud on my
>>hands since every night and morning, I stick those
>>same fingers into my eyes! Any good experiences
>>with latex gloves (I know, "wuss"!) or cleaners that
>>don't leave all kinds of residue on the hands?
>
>Not dumb <g>. I just read a story (on this list?) about someone who
>converted to wearing latex gloves and was extremely pleased, and wondered
>
>why they hadn't done it sooner. Of course, some people may like black
>crud permanently ingrained in their fingerprints <g>. I wear contacts,
>
>too, but I wear glasses when working on the car. Can't see diddly when
>
>looking down or up with my astigmatic contacts.
>
>- --
>
>Max Heim

There was an article in the Basic B section of the May/June issue of NAMGBR's
"MGB Driver" on this subject. Jake Snyder was writing about the fact that he
started wearing latex gloves religiously when working on his MGBs. One of his
main points was consideration of all the "used oil, brake fluids of various
ages and formulations, stale gasoline that may be old enough to contain lead,
lead-based anti-seize compounds, glycol coolant, methanol gas line
antifreeze, and probably a host of polynuclear aromatics from incomplete
combustion. Couple the toxic environment with many sharp edges from rusted
bodywork, burred nuts and bolts where the Sawzall was the last resort, and
you have many opportunities for the toxic materials to enter your body."

And while the reference to lead in old gas is valid, I'll mention my
observation that today's gas is just as bad or even worse with it's MTBEs
etc. Jake is a chemist and made a rather convincing case that latex gloves
(which he found could be obtained cheaply at paint supply stores) can prevent
a lot of potential short-term and long-term problems, but are still
relatively comfortable and practical.

Kim Tonry
Editor - MGB Driver-Journal of the North AMerican MGB Register
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA