Any ideas why my parking brake is useless?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Any ideas why my parking brake is useless?
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:15:09 -0700
Okay, this has been going on since I got the car (30 years!), but I am
finally tired of living with it.

On the '65 I can pull the bejeezus out of the brake handle and the shoes
barely rub on the drums.  Recently I've replaced the brake handle,
installed a new cable and adjusted it, installed and adjusted new brake
shoes (they are tight, adjuster works fine!), replaced the parking brake
actuating assembly in the brake drum with the later type that has a
longer lever arm, checked for damage to the backing plate, have the
shoes correctly installed, and can't think of anything else to check.

It is like the lever arm that goes through the backing plate is pulled
to the point where something stops it just before the shoes put much
pressure on the drum.

I give up.  Maybe replace the whole axle with a later type tube axle?  I
have no problem like this with the other cars.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1