Fixin's for Electrical gremlins Wuz: Re: Brake Fluids

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixin's for Electrical gremlins Wuz: Re: Brake Fluids
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
> "Silicone" is a polymer, used for brake fluid,
> certain lubricants,
> waterproofing and , uh, certain forms of cosmetic
> surgery.

And most recently (i.e. just before work today), to
make my rubber bumpers look like rubber again. I guess
you could call that cosmetic surgery, at least the
front bumper ;-)

Hey, the good news is, the $800.00 B is alive, well
and on the road now! Watch out for the loose nut
behind the wheel! Now I have a reason to live again...
the drive to work :-)

The last bout was with Mr. Lucas. Some symptomatic
tips for those having electrical problems:

Loss of directionals + hazards: check the hazard
switch. You can do this by shorting the bottom two
contacts together and see if the directionals work. In
fact, you can wire it that way as a temp fix until you
can get a new switch.

Loss of all lights: check the directional/hi-low
beam/horn switch. Wiggle it all around.

Loss of all (or weakened) key-on electricals: Measure
voltage into the fuse that has a white wire going in
and green wires going out (with key on). If it's low
or 0V, the poor little 20 + year old ignition switch
might not have enough bullocks left in it to carry the
current. This can be verified by unplugging the green
wires from the fuse and repeat the test. If it jumps
up to 12 Volts or so, the switch is weak. The fix is
to use the white wire from the ignition to fire a
relay that connects power from a brown wire to the
fuse (where the white wire was). E-mail me and I'll
make a drawing so that makes sense. I suspect it may
have been powered by a relay in the first place which
some idiot bypassed. If thats the case, skip all this
and just check/replace the relay for this symptom.

Cheers,
jon

=====
|Check out guitar George, he knows all the cords.|

http://im.yahoo.com/