Lump Stumped...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lump Stumped...
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:57:08 -0700 (PDT)
I am stumped as to which engine my car has/should
have. Here are the relevant facts:

Chassis # - GHN3L49843, built 26-27 October 1964
Engine # (orig) - 18GUH1815 (per BMIHT certificate)
Engine # (actual) - 18GUH7468

According to Clausager, the switch to the 5-main
bearing engine occurred in October 64, effective with
chassis # 48767 (chart, page 60) - which means my car
should have had a 5-main engine, with the GA prefix...
(BTW, my engine does NOT have the pipe that runs from
the valve cover to the front carb - which to me
indicates that it is NOT an "18G" engine!)

The questions, then:

1) Do GA, GB, etc., engines actually start with "GA"
and "GB"? Or, just "G" with the serial number
indicating the type they are?

2) Was my original/is my current engine a 3-main
engine? I am assuming it is, since there is only the
"G"...

3) How can I tell, short of opening it up (which I
will be doing this winter...)?

4) Should I care? (Other than from an originality
perspective)

Now I'm wondering about the transmission! It looks
like a 3-synchro from underneath, and if I have an 18G
engine, then it must be, right?

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
76 MGB Tourer Driver - Brooklands Green
66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer Project - faded Tartan Red
NAMGBR #5-2328

http://im.yahoo.com/