3 synchro overdrive prices

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: 3 synchro overdrive prices
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:51:24 -0700
"Kai M. Radicke" wrote:

> I've been following this thread and can't help chiming in that most of the
> prices being posted are from the private sales.  These prices do not reflect
> what you would pay if you were to purchase an OD gearbox from an LBC
> supplier.
>
> For example someone had said that $650 for a "good working" early MGB
> overdrive box was a fair and reasonable price.  The vast majority of
> established LBC suppliers will charge you at least $1100 to $1300 for an
> excellent 3 synchro D-type overdrive box.  They're fairly rare and command
> that price.  The LHs on the other hand can be had much less ($750-$950) from
> a supplier.

Yes, private sales are "caveat emptor".  Any reputable supplier would be
offering either a real or implied warranty on units he sold, so they
should cost more.  Since I was planning on rebuilding the one I got
anyway, I was looking for a good price from a private party and willing
to take more risk to save $700 or so.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle