RIP R&T

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RIP R&T
From: "NSippel" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:23:44 -0400
I note with interest the recent posts about R&T's continuing slide
downward..

I too have a collection of old R&T's.  Mine go back to the 50's, and run
through 1991.  I also had an opportunity to work for R&T for a couple of
years in the early '90's.  That was right after 2 LBO's which put R&T & C&D
under the same French umbrella - Hachette.  And, how do companies pay for
overpriced LBO's?  Simple, they cut - costs, people, properties, and
ultimately value and credibility.

Many changes had already been made to R&T prior to that, but those that took
place while I was there really "burst the bubble" of admiration.  By the
time I left, both R&T & its "rival" C&D were edited by the same person.
Imagine how competitive they were then.

And, I could tell you some stories about the "Ten Best" too.  But, that's
best left to the imagination, and your own counting of ad pages.

R&T still has good editors.  They are real "car guys" as was the publisher
who hired me. (He's no longer there either.)  But, when the owner tells the
publisher, and he tells you ...  Yes, the almighty profit is what makes the
publishing world go 'round.

Anyone interested in buying a collection of R&T's?  It includes hardbound
editions of some years of the late '80's.  I could use the space for more MG
parts & the $$ for my new engine.

Meanwhile, have you seen European Car?  What about Vintage Motorsport or
Victory Lane?  And, for the racers - Grassroots Motorsport?  None of these
mags profess to be holier-than-thou as the R&T, C&D, MT & Aut. mags have.
They are straight forward in openly promoting their advertisers.  But, they
do it through giving the reader useful information, without the hypocrisy.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB etc., & now with a dot com, no more magazines.