Re: Dumb Newspaper Tricks

To: "MG Listserver" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dumb Newspaper Tricks
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:41:12 -0700
Oh, yeah, I saw this, and meant to post it, but I was busy that day and
forgot. Thanks for explaining the radiator cap business -- I was totally
baffled by it myself. I don't know what the reporter/photographer/editor
thought was going on when they chose that picture to illustrate the gas
price article -- maybe they all put gas in their radiators...

That reminds me, on the same day there was an article about Larry Ellison
(the Oracle billionaire) and his McLaren F1. Apparently it was caught in
an investigation of a Burlingame mechanic that was issuing phoney
"mail-in" smog certificates. Ellison only allowed the DMV to visit the
car if they vowed not to disclose the secret location, and he didn't let
them touch it or start the engine. Huh, hard to see how they verified its
emission controls without inspecting it or running any tests. Think the
DMV would do courtesy, hands-off house calls for your British car?
Especially after essentially catching you in fraud... Jeez...

Chris Attias had this to say:

--

Max Heim