Close call over heating

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Close call over heating
From: Enrique Claure <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:01:46 -0700
Hi list, boy did I get a freight today!

I was singing my way to work in my MGB when I noticed the temp gauge
rising. Oh God! no where to park and tons of traffic. I made it in the nick
of time 1/4 before red line. Jumped out of the car and screamed to a
coworker to get water. I looked at the engine and the fan switch was slowly
moving out the radiator. I grabbed my car keys and pushed it back in while
my hand was roasting with the radiator heat. They poured water on the
radiator and everything slowly cooled down with no harm done.

Q.  When I short the green/black cable the fans come on but don't trigger
when attached?
Q. Could it be that my expansion cap is bad and thus low pressure does not
allow water to contact the
      fan switch and thus it does'nt start the fans?
Q. The switch with just the rubber holding it looks like and invitation for
trouble any ideas on how to lock it in place?
Thanks for your input. Enrique
SPAN Inc HeadQuarter
PO BOX 6524
La Paz Bolivia