Re: Starter confusion

To: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>, "The MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter confusion
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:59:37 +0100
There is no 'adjustment' as such but either the flywheel ring-gear or
starter pinion could be damaged.

By 'later type' I assume you mean pre-engaged.  The earlier type has a
'inertia' type pinion which means it is thrown into engagement with the
ring-gear after the starter has begun turning.  The later type has the
pinion slid into engagement with the ring-gear by the solenoid *before* the
starter begins turning which makes for a quieter and less wearing life - for
it and you.

Dunno about fitting later starter to earlier engine, but if you listen to
someone elses and their's doesn't do it, then get yours fixed!

PaulH.