Crossflow head and Carbs of Choice?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crossflow head and Carbs of Choice?
From: <SRegel@dpra.com> (Scott Regel)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:29:47 EDT
I've been shaking that money tree since my May e-mail about a cracked head on
my de-smogged 76 B (now known as "Spot").  Something finally fell out!  So
I'm looking at the crossflow head and a set of SU's to replace the worn out
DGV Weber on there now.  The engine will get a rebuild around February-March
2001.  But I really need something now just to keep her running...oil
pressure rises and falls with acceleration when it's warm and the Weber spits
when its cold and sometimes when it is warm.  Seems to be a tale-tale sign of
antifreeze in the oil too.  So to make spot happy for now, I want to replace
the head and carb.  So two questions:

1)      What would be the best year head to buy in a crossflow if the car is
de-smogged (remember Spot is a 76 B)...should I stick with a later head or go
with one that doesn't have the smog ports.  Any suggestions on a good
crossflow head?  Pierce manifolds?

2)      What SU's should I use if I'm going to run a hotter cam at rebuild and
will I have enough room to put them in with the crossflow?

I feel like a kid with $10's in my pocket at the candy shop right now!  Oh,
let me add a third question:

3)      Has anyone had any experience with the rebuilt 1950 cc engines that the
proper MG is selling for $2,300?

TIA

Dreaming Scott
76 B Spot!