Re: As The Engine Turns

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: As The Engine Turns
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:59:01 -0500
At 02:13 PM 9/26/2000 -0700, Dan DiBiase wrote:
> Getting ready to dump a bunch of penetrant into my seized 3-main engine.

Starting a long dormant engine:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/de101a.htm

Salvaging a siezed engine (on a budget):
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/de102.htm

>Since I am not 100% sure that this car has been converted to negative
ground .... if I hooked a battery up the wrong way, what could that
potentially do to the starting system?

Battery polarity has no affect on the starting system.  Conversion from Pos
to Neg earth involves reversing the battery(s) (have to change the cable
terminals), and repolarizing your generator (just hot flash the field
terminal).  If you're real picky you also switch the primary wires on the
ignition coil to make the spark jump the right way across the plug gap.
And the wiper motor may run backwards, which might affect the parking
position of the wiper blades, which you can fix by relocating the arms on
the spindles.  Only other problem may be if you have a radio that was
designed for Pos earth, which is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg