Re: Metal adhesives vs. welding

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Metal adhesives vs. welding
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 09:46:57 -0500
At 9:14 AM -0400 10/1/00, Bud Krueger wrote:
>Here's one for you ----  My basket case 52TD, known as Arby (Rust Bucket) has
>some areas where the body metal has completely rusted away.  As some you may
>already know, the TD has a wooden body framework that the tub (body) skin is
>attached to.  Removal of the metal from the wood is a task that one wants to
>avoid, if at all possible.  There are some areas where I'll need to add some
>steel to replace rust in non-stressed areas.  Welding it in is gambling on
>setting the wood on fire if I don't remove the panels completely.
>
>         It dawned me that we have some amazing bonding products out there
>nowadays, and things like JBWeld, etc.  Anybody have any experience,
>knowledge,
>of just thoughts about the possibility of using a bonding substance where one
>might otherwise weld?  TIA.
>
>--
>Bud Krueger
>http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/
>52TD
>77MGB

There are products designed specifically for bonding metal to metal
in body repair. Friends in the auto body repair business tell me that
in some instances this is the way to go. If a panel is not structural
it may be more efficient to use such a product as the bond is quite
durable and there is no difficulty with rest as the result of heat on
surrounding areas. YMMV
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/