She "B" loose (very long -- and final

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: She "B" loose (very long -- and final
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:50:46 -0500
Hello Gang,
   Yes, encouraged by a few list members, I did find the
problem with my tight "B" engine.  One rod end cap was
installed backwards.  I rotated the crank after installing
each cap EXCEPT for the last one -- a silly omission that
cost me a lot of time.
   I do want to make a comment or two however.  First of
all; I received good heartfelt advice from a few list members.
Thank you.  I also received quite a bit of berating and
insulting comments from others.  Those comments are what
I wish to address with the remainder of this note.  Delete
now if you don't want to hear it.
   In my posts, I used the word "rebuilt" too loosely for a
group of purists.  No, I did not remove the engine from the
car.  No, I did not pull the crankshaft or main bearing caps.
The condition of the crank pin journals is mirror like and
I used that knowledge as an indicator of the main bearings
condition -- for better or worse.  So the translation of "rebuilt"
as used in my notes is: full top-end rebuild (valves reseated,
valve guide wear measured acceptable, valve spring rates
tested, seals installed and reassembled).  Cylinders lightly
honed and pistons replaced with new rings.  Big-end bearings
cleaned and replaced -- with one end cap reversed.
(Thus, the problem prompting the initial note.)  Lifters were
removed and cleaned.  Push rods tested for trueness.
Valve gear disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.  Carb
(Weber) rebuilt, exhaust examined from headers to tail
pipe.  All reinstalled with new gaskets.  That is what I
meant by "rebuilt."
   To some, the above procedure is full of short cuts and is
inappropriate for a proper rebuild.  And I agree if my goal
was to restore this car.  It is not.  My goal is to make it run
with the minimum amount of work and the minimum amount
of expense.  Drive the crap out of it this winter and then
either sell it or donate it.
   From reading posts on this list, most list members are just
passionate auto enthusiasts like myself.  A few are here
to support their businesses and a few are here just to tell
others how much more they know than we amateurs know.
Interestingly enough, that is a trait that is associated with
the exotic car owners.  However, nothing if further from
the truth.  Exotic car owners have nothing to prove to
anyone!  Yet, I get more ugly comments from "affordable"
sports car owners than from any other group.
   Allow me to make one further comment and this is one
to level the playing field.  My "toy" car is a Ferrari 308GTB.
It is <now> in flawless condition.  It was not purchased
for others to see or enjoy.  It is entirely personal.
Unfortunately, exotics attract attention and everyone
assumes that to own one you have to be a no-socks, gold
chain wearing millionaire.  I wear socks, own nothing
gold except for my wedding band and go to work each
day to pay the bills.  My 308GTB is worth $10k more now
than when I bought it but even at that, I paid about
HALF of what the REAL "gold chain gang" pays for
a luxury SUV.
   This list is quite valuable but I have learned that it
is best implemented as a Read Only Device.  Thank
you for your contributions.  Back to lurker mode.

Rick Lindsay, Tulsa
'79 308GTB
'79 MGB LE
'70 MGB-GT