Re: Noises from down under recap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noises from down under recap
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:34:34 +0000
Enrique Claure wrote:

> Okay list, so heres all the advise I got:
>
> 1. No chilli chips n beer
> 2. Loose tranny mounts checked and are OK
> 3. Differential back lash will need to check :-(
> 4. U Joint brand new.

OK, so the "chilli chips & beer" comment was my fault (a bit of aussie
humour floating around there - but you brought it on yourself with the
'down under' subject line.

Having said that... let me say this.

I have an increasingly annoying clunk when I change gears or accelerate
(from dead stop or at least very slow) and the worst thing is that I
think I know what it is.  Yes, uni joints, drive shaft, backlash.   If I
had caught it much earlier then the "fill it with loctite" solution
wouldn't be the only one.  There is so much play in the drive/tailshaft
that it is obvious that there will be clunk when it is forced to go
faster or even change directions suddenly.

Try it on yours and see.  Just grab the shaft and twist it (easiest when
it is up on a hoist) and see what play there is.  Get it before it gets
too bad - or maybe by the time you can feel serious play then it already
is.

Eric
'68MGB MkII
(struggling to make amends - seeking to achiev 'helpful noise from
downunder' status)