Re: Hard Start...MGA 1800 Engine (and a timing question)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hard Start...MGA 1800 Engine (and a timing question)
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
To much advance will make an engine turn hard, and if
you are watching on a failed attempt to start it, it
may rock back or even try to run backwards when you
let off the starter. Had a Buick 231 doing this; ran
like a top, no pinking, until she ate the head gasket
one day.

--- Blake Wylie <blake_wylie@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Finalizing some things on my MGA.  I have an 1800
> 3-man engine in it, and
> when I go to crank it, it just seems to have a hard
> time turning the engine
> over.  When I have the ignition off, it turns over
> fine, but when I turn the
> key off, it just has a very hard time turning the
> engine over to start (and
> probably causing the starter some bad wear).  It
> starts and runs fine
> (although the timing seems to be off a little...I
> get a little ping when
> going up a hill, and it doesn't have as much
> power...would that be a case of
> needint to retard or advance the timing?  I can't
> remember).  Any ideas as
> to what could be causing this?  I do have a couple
> of modifications...it
> could be a compression issue as I have a 73-74 head
> on it and a performance
> cam (last time I checked the compression, it was
> around 160 on each
> cylinder).  Perhaps the hard start is just the side
> effect of the higher
> compression...but why wouldn't it do it when the
> ignition is off?  I just
> don't want to have to replace my starter that often
> if it can be helped.  :)
>
> Any suggestions?  Also, as an aside, I retarded the
> timing a bit (in
> thinking that I needed to retard the timing because
> of the pinging and lack
> of power on hills...I may have it backwards).  I
> wasn't able to crank it at
> all when I retarded it though.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance.  :)
>
> -Blake Wylie
> 1960 MGA
> 1963 MGB basket case

=====
77 MGB
58 Willys CJ-3B
Other newer vehicles of no significant value other than getting from point A to
point B.

http://photos.yahoo.com/