Re: This and That

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: This and That
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:37:58 EDT
In a message dated 10/08/00 10:41:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

>  Hmmm, those final drive ratios come out to a ~25% overdrive, instead
>  of the ~20% we're used to seeing.  Wonder where they got it.  Hope
>  someone knows.

Derrington's did a conversion for the Magnette transmission. I have no idea
which Laycock unit they used, probably one that was produced at the time for
one of the English Fords, and they did come with different ratios over the
years, so it could have been a .8 or .7 that they used.

And on steering columns:

> I couldn't find anything about the telescoping steering column.

>That's 'cause it was standard on all MGA's.

No, it wasn't. It may have come on all or most Twincams (the records aren't
consistent), but both variations are catalogued in the parts books for all
models.

The adjustable column is _far_ more common on the North American market cars,
anyway, though I have seen a couple over the years with non-adjustable
columns.

Bill