The MGA "mini van" with attitude

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The MGA "mini van" with attitude
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:59:44 -0500
Well, hello again fellow listers,

Two very unusual things happened this weekend.  First was that the MGA with
an attitude needed a tow.  It dropped a valve by breaking the keeper end
off an intake valve (again), and this time it may have smunched a piston,
because it's very stiff to crank.  The broken MGA is not particularly
unusual, only the idea the it had to suffer the humilliation of being towed
rather than limping home under its own power.  The break happened on the
first autocross run of the day about 100 feet off the start line when
reaching for 2nd gear.  In the end the competition date wasn't a total loss
though, as I got the opportunity to test another theory.

Second thing, a while back one of the listers commented that I might be
able to run circles around most of y'all in your MGs while I was driving a
mini van.  I know it was in jest, but I came very close to the test on
Sunday.  To finish out the autocross day I was offered a drive in a Chevy
S10 truck with V6 engine, automatic transmission, and race tires.  This was
the only other vehicle registered in the same class as my MGA on this day,
so I thought I'd give it a try (all in good fun of course).  I actually did
quite well, except that I beat the owner, so I may not get to drive that
one again.  On the 4th run I turned a time that indexed within 0.35 second
of FTDI (3rd on index with about 40 drivers).  Maybe it had something to do
with my magic magnetic "58" stuck on the side of the truck.

Just thought y'all might like the chuckle.

Barney Gayord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg