Traction circle, was: Biggest Tire Size

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Traction circle, was: Biggest Tire Size
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:20:09 -0500
Not to fan the spark of a flame but you are both right.
   Long reason: It is all about the size and shape of the contact patch.
If this bit fails, NOTHING else matters.  The confusion usually comes
when someone introduces the "coefficient of friction" -- which is
independent of area.  The point that is usually missed is that the simple
friction model is too simple.  One must also take into account the
deformation of the rubber into the rugosity of the road surface.  This
causes the SHAPE of the contact patch to influence the tire's traction
preferentially according to the direction of the forces.
   Short lesson: Wider tires make for better cornering if the surface is
paved.  Narrow tires are better for cases such as ice and snow.
   Empirical evidence: Wide tires on Formula 1 cars.  Narrow tires on
World Rally Series cars on the Alpine Run.

   I have a nice little image of the traction circle if anyone wants a copy.
It graphically explains why tires can't corner AND accelerate at the same
time. :-)  Just drop me a line and I'll send it to you.  It's just a JPG of
a drawing.

Rick

--
Diamond Geoscience Research