Re: MGB brake caliper HELP!!!!

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB brake caliper HELP!!!!
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:13:05 -0700
At 10:23 AM -0600 10/12/2000, Jesse wrote:
>AHHHHHHHH!  I'm going nuts!

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and the solution was similar
to Allen's piece of plywood.

   After watching me bend up the rings from a couple of rebuild kits,
the old guy across the street made me a tool out of a slice of old
pipe with a piece of steel plate tacked on one end.  The pipe
diameter was just big enough to fit over the piston, so that the wall
of the pipe bore on the ring.  It was a fairly thin slice, so that it
would fit inside the assembled caliper.  I drove it home with a
C-clamp, which I modified on the grinder so that it and the pipe
would fit inside said caliper--basically thinned out the back of the
stationary  part of the clamp.  Lubed everything up with brake seal
lubricant, and it all went together easily.

Good luck,

--
Chris Attias
Aptos, CA