Re: Any advice?

To: Chris Rose <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Any advice?
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:07:15 -0500
Hi Chris,

  What a sad story.  You have my sympathy.  Regarding the seats and
other upholstery, we met a couple who went thru a flash flood.  They
said that the Public Health department in their area wouldn't _let_ them
keep their mattresses, sofas, etc., because of exposure to sewage.
There was a health issue, y'see.  So it would seem that you should strip
the seats down to the bare frames and reupholster them.  Likewise the
carpets and underlayment.  The health issue might be a good handle to
apply to the shop's insurer if they balk at the expense.

  Perhaps some hles should be drilled in the varios sills so as to let
the water out.  They also might blow hot air into interior of the body
interstices overnight and then reapply the Waxoil.

  I would think the shop owner needs to drain the engine, tranny and
carbs, then refill them, pull the spark plugs and spin it to eject any
water from the cylinders, replace the plugs and start it up.  Then run
it for an hour or so to boil all the moisture out.  I'd get that done
ASAP, to minimize rust.  It happens that we fly RC model airplanes off
of water sometimes.  If one of our engines gets dunked, the preceding is
what we do as soon as we retrieve it.  Haven't lost one due to immersion
yet.

  I had a B that was immersed to the door sills in water once.  It
ruined the starter solenoid since the starter is in there with the
solenoid on the bottom.  Another one of those "Why the....." (G)

  Hope this helps,

  CR