Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: barrier@bconnex.net, mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:18:53 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/00 1:46:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
barrier@bconnex.net writes:

<< Someweeks ago there was some discusiion on this ......

 I will have them sand(or?)blasted but then which is best

 1) Powder coated (silver)

 2) Paint with POR 15 silver

 3) Paint with POR 15 and then use silver paint {what silver paint?}

 You experenced responses would be appreciated and thank you in advance >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If I had it to do over again, I would powder coat my wheels.  Powder coating
is very durable.  I would probably powder coat them all silver, then hand
paint the black portion.

Remember, when you have them blasted, they will start to rust immediately.
If possible, have the same shop blast and then coat them.  If you have to use
a different shop, get the wheels blasted and then treat them with some kind
of rust inhibitor/converter.

I don't know if you can powder coat over POR 15.  You might want to check
with the manufacturer.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget