Maggot Trans Case

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Maggot Trans Case
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:23:17 EDT
Oops - I looked at the picture after answering the question and saw what you
were referring to.

Not present on the Twincam case is the hole almost down past the bellhousing,
that the lever came out of. The front trans cover was unique, 1G 3674 (later
1H 3141).

 The square lump on the rear top that you refer to was not needed in the
Magnette, but was, I believe, used in some of the early Austins for a clutch
fork cross-shaft (remember, the ZA Magnette predated the MGA).

Interestingly, the rare Manumatic version of the Magnette trans, did NOT use
the case with the boxy bit, but rather 1H 3215, which had the same slave
mount boss, with strengthening robs from there down to a slightly larger hole
for the clutch operating mechanism.

I have only once seen a Manumatic box, out of the car, and imagine they would
be a horror to service now. Has anyone else ever seen one running?

Bill