question of mechanical suitability

To: "mgs \(E-mail\)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: question of mechanical suitability
From: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:49:32 -0700
A question for those of you who can guide me. I have an engine that
was rebuilt maybe a 1000 miles or so ago. It chose to lose the head of
a piston recently while coming up the highway. Lubrication, speed, etc
were all good/reasonable. The piston split at the lowest ring groove
and badly scarred the inside of the cylinder and most likely shed lots
of particles into the oilpan and then into other pistons, cylinders,
and rotating parts. I rack this up to one of the great misfortunes of
life.

The question now is what to do. I have contacted the machine shop and
the guy there said that all of the pistons should be out for when they
either regrind, or sleeve. I have no problem with this, but I haven't
rebuilt an engine since '71 and that was a lawnmower engine. Is this
something that should be tackled only by a person versed and familiar,
or can I manage this myself? The manual suggests that only competent
mechanics should tackle this because of all of the fine tolerances.

Thanks for any guidance--

Clayton