[no subject]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:37:56 -0500
>Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:04:13 EDT
>From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
>Subject: Lucas gremlin
>
>Here's the thing.  I'm driving along looking at good instrument readings.
>Then I either step on the brakes or use the turn signal.  First, neither
>brake lights or turn signals function; Second, the three electric
instruments
>all go off-line for a bit of a nappy, sometimes to return, sometimes not.
>Before the Rocks meeting the car was doing this so I did an all-out assault
>on grounds, and thought I had fixed it .  Now The Dark Lord has returned,
and
>I'm stumped once again. Even added extra grounds, replaced all fuses,
cleaned
>fuse contacts, re-inserted light connections, etc.  Is there a common link
>for the instruments and the lighting system somewhere?
>
>Jay Donoghue
>72B (aka blinky)
>72B-GT
>66 Mustang

Jay,

I've had something like that happen to me on a '67. Granted the wiring is a
little simpler, but if you check the schematics you may find that
everything being affected is part of the ignition-switched circuit. There
are two main circuits coming off the battery; one switched and one
non-switched. Again, my experience is with '67s, '69s and '74s. I took
apart the ignition switch and cleaned it and the problem was solved, never
to return. In your case I would check any fuse and/or harness connections
first to make sure they are clean and then drop out the ignition switch and
see how much of a pain in the ass it would be to take it apart and clean
it. Replacing the switch on the '67 was only about $25 so I ordered one,
cleaned the one that was in there, and  keep the new one in the glove box
just in case. It may be possible that the threat of the new one in the
glove box is keeping the old one from crapping out on me again.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
schnittke@mindspring.com
Home: 615-385-2800