Re: Stuck Temp Sender

To: Enrique Claure <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Stuck Temp Sender
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:06:11 -0500 (EST)
Enrique,
   When I had that problem, there were many solutions sent to me. The
first was to run the engine to heat the block and the sender. Since they
were dissimilar metals, they would expand and contract at different
rates and you just have to keep trying until you hit the right point at
which you can break the lock. Vice-grips was a great tool for this
purpose but watch that you don't round the sender.

The second technique was to use one of the rust-busters, Permatex or
Navel Jelly...didn't work.

The third suggestion was to cut the sender just above the block and drill
out carefully the softer sender metal with a drill smaller than the
threads. Then pick out the remaining brass from the threads.

The fourth trick worked. I was at my mechanics doing the rear break
cylinders (he was teaching me how...) and I happened to mention the frozen
temperature sender. He took a large...much larger than I
had....vice-grips and a large pipe that fit over the handle and used the
torque to break the seal. It worked....old fashion smart muscle power.

Hope it works for you.

 On Sat, 28 Oct 2000,
Enrique Claure wrote:

> Morning everybody, I have a bad temp sender to replace but I can't unscrew
> it. Can some one give me advise on how to free it? Thanks, Enrique

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."