Re: Electronic Ignition and Setting Timing.

To: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition and Setting Timing.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:35:59 -0500
"Jones, Mark" wrote:

> I just received Lumenition's Magnetronic Ignition kit. It seems to be very
> easy to install; just replace the points with the electronic unit and
> install the timing disk.  I'm wondering has the installation of this unit
> affected the timing enough that I will have to reset the timing statically
> first and then dynamically or will I be able to start the car after
> installing the unit and then just proceed with a readjustment of the dynamic
> timing?

  Any time the distributor gets out of whack, you can usually
start it if you have an assistant or an underbonnet starter.

  Crank the car, and slowly rotate the distributor until
the car starts, then you can fine-tune it a bit until it
runs smooth, then get out the timing light.

  (many people just time this way, twist until it runs
smooth, tighten the punch-bolt. Not for me, thanks)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca