The search - was Re: shipping

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The search - was Re: shipping
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:01:46 -0700
My question on shipping was actually related to an attempt to purchase a 70
MGB in Elkhart, IN (not too far from Chicago as I understand it). The car
did not look too bad, but there was some dpo body repairs and the passenger
floorboard needed replaced. Interior was shot, needed a battery, a fuel
pump, a top, some electrical repairs.

I got most of these details from the current owner's son even though the ad
touted it as 95% complete and a good restoration project. The bid started
at $750 and about four bidders fought over it until the final day when the
bid stayed at $900. From the pictures and description I saw it as a fair
deal if I could get it for under $1000. I waited until just the end of the
auction - maybe ten minutes before - and outbid the last bidder at $910,
but I also put a maximum bid on it of $1010 for safe keeping. Had I waited
maybe seven or eight minutes before bidding, the car would have been mine.
Instead, the guy I outbid was watching and he jumped right in and got the
bid at the last minute at $1035.

The car, as I mentioned before, was for my teenage son to replace the
recently wrecked 71BGT. He was very disappointed as he had really liked the
looks of a classic MGB convertible with wire wheels. On a more positive
note of sorts, I had located two different 74 roadsters for under $1000
(non-running, we would use parts from the 71BGT to bring them back to
life). When I mentioned them, he said he didn't like the big ugly bumpers
they had. I thought he was talking incorrectly about rubber bumpers but in
fact he was referring to those large overriders used in '74 - he actually
knows his cars and has read Clausager's Original MGB. (no offense to those
of you with 74s but I had always hoped I would get my son interested in
LBCs and it seems to have worked).

So the search continues. Several listers have given me some leads for
roadsters and GTs , mostly 70s models. All tips are welcome - although
preference is with relatively good body but moderate rust is okay, roadster
preferred over GT (but we could go GT if a nice one is found), wire wheels,
68-72 or so, price under $1500, non-running is okay but still  not a major
operation to get going again. However, depending on insurance outcome, I
may not be so cheap. Distance too is a big factor - I am in Montana but
will travel 1000-1200 miles. The Elkhart car would have cost me $800 to
ship it so I was looking at a trailer from Uhaul for $300 and then gas,
four days travel to cover the 2700 miles roundtrip. So maybe it was good
that I lost the bid. Albuquerque is only 1000 miles one way,
Portland/Seattle are a little closer.

Thanks to all those who sent me some leads. I'll ponder all the options in
the next several days to  a week.

David