Re: mgb a-arms

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mgb a-arms
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 01:00:56 -0800
Dan:

<<<snip>>>
I do not see you saying anything about MediaBlasting and having
MagnaFluxed??
<<<snip>>>
> What are these two processes you described?
<<<snip>>>

Magna fluxing or magna glowing is a process used to find minute cracks in
metal.  I've seen magna glowing.  The process involve coating the clean iron
part with a phosphorescence material, applying a magnetic field to the object,
and observing the object under black light (I believe).  If there are cracks,
the magnetic field around the cracks is different and the phosphorescence
material will align itself with the cracks and then make them apparent.

MediaBlasting would be a generic term used to describe shot blasting, sand
blasting, walnut shell blasting, silicon carbide blasting, etc.

In this instance, I believe that after magna fluxing or magna glowing, steel
shot peening is added insurance to reduce the possibility of the items
developing stress cracks.  Steel shot is blasted at the metal instead of sand.
The steel shot peens the surface which changes the surface tension and gently
rounds off sharp edges where stress cracks usually start.

Blake