RE: English slang, was Dodgy alternator?

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: English slang, was Dodgy alternator?
From: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:29:59 -0000
>From your clear and concise definition of "Dodgy", you appear to be an
>expert on current English usage.

Well...I do live near London. "Not my problem guv"

>Can you, therefore, please help this poor old Brit (who left the UK in
1964)
>understand the meaning of "Naff"?

Naff = Tacky....er...oh 'spose you need that explained too.

<reaches for dictionary>

Naff = Unfashionable, rubbishy

We use the word naff when taking about such things as...

- Garden gnomes
- Fake RS Turbo bodykit on a 1.1L Ford Escort with original steel wheels
retained
- The entire range of "Kevin and Gary" type car go-faster accessories like
neon-aerials and bolt on 4" tailpipes.
- Christmas lights on your house
- Fake silver plastic christmas trees (optical fibre variety earns extra
naff'ness points)
- Yorkshire terriers (well, not them directly, but their owners will
undoubtably own lots of naff stuff)

As you can imagine "Naff Naff" clothing didn't sell too good over here!

> I've seen and heard it several times but
>have never been able, from the context, to ascribe to it a meaning that
>makes any sense.
>Oh, the required LBC content? See some of my other posts for

Call me stupid, but what is an LBC?

Scott (who has an LCB on his mini, but no LBC on his MG)

Large Brick Cabin?
Light Black Chassis?
Lovely British Cars?

the system manager.