Cracked Cap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cracked Cap
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:48:46 -0500
Thanks to the list for all of you responses to my question regarding the
non-firing of my 72 BGT's first cylinder. The problem was indeed found to
be a tiny hairline crack in the distributor cap. A new one is on the way
and hoped and expected to resolve the problem.
The crack was only found after removing it completely and examining it
under magnification. It was quite near the first cylinder plug wire
connection. I'm glad it wasn't the Mikuni carbs!

Reminds my of my last problem with a faulty distributor cap. After
returning from our honeymoon, my wife and I had my pickup with utility
tailer and her '71 Duster (which we called the Ruster) loaded to the
gills to move her back to North Carolina to our new home. You guessed it.
The Ruster wouldn't start. After begging a local shop to help us on
Saturday, a new distributor cap got us back on the road, just in time for
severe thunderstorms, hail, and flash floods.

Thanks, listers, for your advice and suggestions.
Bill Snyder
66MGB
72BGT
no more '71 Duster, thank goodness