Re: First Time Buyer

To: porsche.com@home.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First Time Buyer
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:00:29 EST
In a message dated 11/15/00 1:07:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
porsche.com@home.com writes:

> would appreciate any
> feedback whatsoever in this regard.  My biggest fear is that if I, for
> any reason, don't continue to love the car, would I be able to recover
> the $5,250 asking price.  Many thanks,

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the list!

This sounds like a decent buy to me.  Check the body work for signs of bondo
repairs.  Use a magnet.  If it sticks, you have metal. If not, you have
either a cheap repair job or a spot that will need attention sooner or later.
 Check the lower parts of  the fenders, doors, and the sills under the doors.
 Also look underneath the carpet for holes in the floor (or put it on a lift
and check underneath).

Do a compression test, dry and wet, to see if that shows any engine problems.
 All cylinders should be within 10% of each other, and shouldn't rise
drastically when oil is squirted in and the test repeated.  Sure the dealer
says the engine was rebuilt, but it is better to do this simple test.

Also, the later, rubber bumper cars are not as desirable as the chrome bumper
cars, but the asking price seems to reflect this.  If you like the look of
the RBB, and it feels stable on the road, GO FOR IT!!!

You can get the used car value at www.napa.com.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward