Re: Front Suspension Lsesson Learned (kind of long)

To: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Suspension Lsesson Learned (kind of long)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:44:28 -0600
At 08:23 AM 11/17/2000 -0600, Ken Waringa wrote:
>I don't have a spring compressor so I used my floor jack under the spring
pan to get the spring tension released.  This is a real chore.  ....
>Now I have the other side to contend with tomorrow morning.  Does anyone
have any secrets about removing and installing the spring pans with a jack?

Sorry to hear about all your trials and tribulations with a simple spring
removal.  You don't need a spring compressor, and you don't have to fight
with realigning the spring pan bolts at reassembly.  If you haven't done
the other side yet, do yourself a favor and do it the easy way.  Place
floor jack directly under the oil spring, lift just enough to get the upper
a-arm off the rubber bumper, remove one of the outer a-arm bolts, lower the
jack and lift out the spring.  Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.
For a picture review of the entire process, check here:
    http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/mgb_susp

Regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude