Re: Fluid spill

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fluid spill
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:40:52 -0800
My experience with brake fluid is that it actually melts the plastic
(polypropylene? nylon?), creating a sticky mess. If you have wool carpet
you may be better off. If you have foam pads rather than jute, they will
dissolve as well. Possibly if you clean it up quickly before it soaks in,
you can save the carpet. Hopefully it's black and not a light color like
tan. If you are using silicone brake fluid you can ignore all this and
just shampoo the carpet, I would assume.

This won't help you now, but your dilemma is a good example of the
reasons not to glue your carpet down, even in a GT (but especially not in
a roadster). The fact that the factory used snaps for the original rubber
mats is a good clue. Put it this way -- you don't glue down the carpet in
your house (and you don't even expect your living room to get caught in
the rain). Obviously, some sections, like the rear wheel arches, need to
be glued, but the actual footwell carpet is better off being removable,
because of fluid spills (both brake fluid, and tranny oil on the
top-fillers), rain, and for rust inspection of the floorboards.

Swkintx@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149