insurance saga almost resolved

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: insurance saga almost resolved
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:37:35 -0700
Some of you may recall that my son had an accident in my 71BGT (that I have
owned since 1983) about a month ago. Apprehensive on how it would be
handled by the insurance company, I asked the list for advice. It looks
like its near the end with some hitches.

The other driver was reportedly ticketed for failure to yield right of way
as she had pulled out in front of my son. I found out a week ago that the
ticket was never processed and thus no longer existed (her father is a
cop). In addition, there were allegations that my son was speeding even
though he had just started the car, which was parked at an intersection and
he had just turned left onto another street when she pulled out from the
side of the street.

With the help of the list and some research, I was ready for their
insurance company to make contact which they never did. The driver's father
never returned my calls. Finally I was able to determine that the insurance
company name they gave me was incorrect but the policy number was and I
traced it to Safeco. I then contacted them and filed a claim.

Last week they sent an insurance adjuster out - he claimed the "insurance
CPI" value of the car was $1400-1500 and his estimate of the damage was
$1894. The estimate of parts and repair costs seemed quite accurate;
however, he appeared to have stopped once he was past the car value
estimate so he left off the radiator, bent fan, cracked windshield.

Despite what I saw as an eroding case due to the disappearing ticket, the
insurance company decided their driver was at fault and would reimburse me.
This was on Sunday no less. When I questioned the estimate, they said to
contact the adjuster who did the estimate. I faxed him a copy of the NADA
valuation stating low retail was $3800 with a cover letter asking not to
total the car, revise the estimate, and reimburse me the cost to repair the
car. He agreed - said he hadn't actually totalled out the car because it
appeared unique and he wasn't sure of the accuracy in his book - it only
listed the B convertible (I didn't tell him the GT is worth less).

Anyway, he upped the damage estimate to $2044 based on $150 it would cost
me to get a radiator and fan from a salvage yard. Well, while I
contemplated all this stuff the past three or so weeks, I had decided I
wanted at least $2000 and the car, and thats pretty much what I'll get. My
plan is to just get another car since the BGT was heavily rusted and thus
not really worth fixing back, plus the car may not be right after its fixed
up.

It will be official when the check is in the hand but Project Roadster is
still underway. A few deals have slipped by but I'm still looking for an
early roadster (CBB pre-74) preferably with wire wheels and preferably not
running so I can get it cheaper - after all I have the drive train from the
BGT in good shape except for the bent fan and the leaking rear engine seal.
And the other problem in the roadster search is that I'm hoping I can find
one one within 1000 miles and I am in Montana. Rust is okay so long as it
is not extreme. The car is for my teenage son so it doesn't need to be too
fancy.

Thanks to all who responded on the insurance. Particularly Ed Kaler who
gave me the name of an insurance agent (and Healy owner) who gave me some
tips. Also Larry Hoy I think suggested I get a copy of the Sep/Oct British
Car Magazine - I ordered it in October but still have not received it from
BCM even though they have already charged my credit card three weeks ago!
And also thanks to Kevin Sullivan who checked the stock at Taos Garage in
Albuquerque, particularly looking at a BGT.

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT soon to be parted out and revived in another car